Chapter 33 Dependent Guidelines
For the first time in history, service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI-Bill program will be able to transfer unused education benefits to their spouses or children starting August 1, 2009.
- Veteran must request through the DoD to transfer their educational entitlement to their dependent. Go to www.gibill.va.gov.
- Click on Transfer Benefits to Dependents
- Click on the link that states "To see the official DoD website containing in-depth information about TEB click here"
- Click on Transferability Policy (Review Policy)
- Click on Transferability Fact Sheet (Review Fact Sheet)
- Make sure the veteran understands all requirements of service extensions and contracts
- Minimal Requirements
- Be in the Armed Forces on August 1, 2009
- Complete 6 (six) years in the Armed Forces and
- Agree to serve at least 4 (four) more years in the Armed Forces after August 1, 2009
- Click on Transferability Application
- You may log on with your Common Access Card (CAC) through the DoD webpage
- Follow ALL instructions as provided by the DoD through the webpage
- Once the transfer has been completed. Bring in a copy of the submitted paperwork to your local HACC MVAO
- Students must then complete a VA application - VA From 22-1990E
- We must have a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to certify the student to the VA
Student/Veteran specific questions can be address to the VA at:
Website: www.gibill.va.gov - use the Contact Us link un the Questions and Answers Heading
Questions regarding the school can be address at any MVAO Office or by:
Information Provided was taken from the GI-Bill Website. Up to date as of 8/11/09
For a Printable Version: Dependent - Chapter 33 (PDF)
Get Acrobat Reader here