Military Spouse career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)
Program Description: The Department of Defense's expanded Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program is now offering up to $6,000 to military spouses who are interested in pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to careers in high growth, high demand portable career fields.
Who Is Eligible: Spouses of active duty members and activated members of the National Guard and Reserve Components.
The period of eligibility of spouses of Guard and Reserve members is from the date of the Alert or Warning Order for Military Recall or Mobilization, through activation and deployment until 180 days following De-Mobilization.
Military spouses who are military members themselves are not eligible. Military members have education benefits provided through the Military Voluntary Education Tuition Assistance (TA) program.
Getting Started: Eligible spouses who are ready to explore portable careers options and develop a career goal and plan should establish a MyCAA Account by visiting the MyCAA website https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa. This is an easy, self-help process. Once spouse profile information is provided, DoD will verify MyCAA eligibility through DEERS. The spouse will by notified of his/her eligibility status through the MyCAA messaging system.
Who Can Help Spouses Move Through the MyCAA Program: Spouses are encouraged to work with their School Academic Advisor or call a Military OneSource Career/Education Consultant at 1-800-342-9647 if they need help in:
- Establishing a MyCAA Account and signing the MyCAA Statement of Understanding (SOU)
- Choosing a portable career and establishing a career goal
- Developing a career plan (selecting courses, exams, other needed services)
- Looking up school(s) of choice in the MyCAA AI Portal
- Requesting that a new school be added if the school of choice is not already listed
- Requesting up to $6,000 of financial assistance to pay for courses of study or related licensing and credentialing services provided by other agencies (e.g. Bar or CPA exams, state certification exams for teachers and nurses, ect.)
- For spouses who experience technical difficulties using the MyCAA website or have forgotten their password, please contact email@example.com
Information provided above was taken from the MyCAA Fact Sheet as of 08/11/09. For a printable version : MyCAA Fact Sheet (PDF)
Get Acrobat Reader here